Melanie performing Lay Down (Candles in the Rain) with the Edwin Hawkins Singers live in the Netherlands, 1970.
"After [Woodstock] was over, I had this fantastic feeling…and the song just came like that, but I just couldn’t record it all by myself; we knew it was something special. So, the first thing that came to my mind was that ‘wouldn’t it be nice if a religious group…or some group could sing with me.’ but…I didn’t dream that the Edwin Hawkins singers would do it because they were very big, you know."
shadows of the night [listen]
the first of an october onset of spooky/mystic themed mixes because what better way to celebrate the best month of the year than with halloween garage rock?? (there is no better way)
01. shadows of the night (quentin’s theme) - robert cobert orchestra
02. the witch queen of new orleans - ervinna & the stylers
03. little drop of poison - tom waits
04. grim reaper of love - the turtles
05. castin’ my spell - the spellbinders
06. i walked with a zombie - roky erickson & the aliens
07. i put a spell on you - creedence clearwater revival
08. it’s your voodoo workin’ - charles sheffield
09. devil in her heart - the beatles
10. black magic - jericho jones
11. a butcher’s tale - the zombies
12. the monster mash - the bonzo dog band
When you come back to your hotel, and you’ve been in front of fifteen thousand people… I would like to sit down in the audience and talk to them about what’s happened. Bring like a podium up and ask questions and have everybody tell me what they think. It’s very hard to just walk away from them. You certainly don’t go to sleep; you can’t. It’s like falling in love with somebody and having yourself turn into a pumpkin and you’re back mopping the floor. That’s the hardest thing-all that energy around you and walking away from it. You have much less than they do because you come back to a motel, they go home. If I could go home after every concert and have my puppies and my cats and my friends, whoever, it wouldn’t be so difficult. To go back by myself to a hotel room is a real downer.
girl-so-fair said: halston is everythiiiinngggg
this dress is everything i’ve ever dreamed about i audibly gasped when i saw it I GASPED and startled my roommates
The Witch Queen of New Orleans - Redbone
Three Chrysanthemums (From Flora’s Gems; or The Treasures of the Parterre. Twelve bouquets drawn and coloured from nature by James Andrews) 1830.
Image and text courtesy MFA Boston.
The Birth of Venus - Nicolas Poussin. Detail.